Facts, not Fantasy

Thursday, March 08, 2012

A Photon in the Darkness: It's Natural

How often has some wooish person told you to take something, or adhere to something because it's "natural".  This (and chemical free) are a couple of my pet peeves.  Not because they are particularly wooish, but because they expose the blatant ignorance, and poor education of the wooist caught up in this particular brand of delusion.  A Photon in the Darkness also has an encounter with this type of woo that makes for a good story:

It’s Natural!

January 25th, 2012

I think I need to switch radio stations.
If you remember, last summer, the station I was listening to on my weekly drive to Downstate Univ. was carrying advertisements for a pseudo-study of a “natural” remedy for “low testosterone”. Lately, the same station has been bombarding me with ads for a “natural” way for post-menopausal women to ”restore hormonal balance”. This “hormonal balance”, we are told, will not only eliminate the hot flashes and other problems of menopause, it will allow us to “eliminate that stubborn belly fat”. On top of that, the advertisement assures us that it is “natural” (Note: so are hemlock, tetanus and dying in childbirth).
Up to now, I have dealt with this by simply changing the station, but I recently had a friend tell me that she had started this “natural” remedy in an attempt to ”restore hormonal balance” (and, I suspect, to get rid of her “stubborn belly fat”, although neither of us brought that up). She was quite enthusiastic about the remedy, although on closer questioning she admitted that the hot flashes hadn’t gotten much better, although she was positive they were “less intense”, if just as frequent as before.
What finally got me out of my “if you can’t say something nice…” reticence, though, was when she told me that she felt this “natural” remedy was vastly superior to the hormonal replacements her doctor and she had discussed (and decided against). And those of you who have read my ‘blog before can probably guess why…
“It’s natural!”
Cautiously, I asked her a few questions. First, I asked her if she knew what was in the pills she was taking; she didn’t,
CLICK HERE TO READ THE REST OF THE POST.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please keep posts here respectful. Those that cross boundaries will be deleted, and then placed in a special place for future ridicule.